Graduating with an Entrepreneurship Minor


I can’t believe that in just a week and a half I will be done with classes. That in less than a month I will be walking across the stage to receive an undergraduate degree. But most of all I can’t believe Entrepreneurship Minor will be listed on that degree. I came to Trinity interested in entrepreneurship, however I didn’t really know what that entailed. I signed up for a first year seminar in entrepreneurial design, and even referenced living in the entrepreneurship hall. I had no idea at the time how much that experience would change my life.

As a freshman, I had a whirlwind experience. I met one of the most energetic people I think I will ever meet, the department chair Dr. Martinez, on the first day. A week or so later I started blogging for the entrepreneurship department. A month or so after that, I had started Colligio Consulting with my partners Olivier and others. By the spring semester we had already pivoted, rebranded, and built a website. Looking back it seems a little crazy that I did all of this in my first year at Trinity. But I did. And my classmates did too. One thing I love about the entrepreneurship department is how hands on it is. I learned so much from practical experience in that first year than I realized at the time.

Sophomore and Junior year continued my entrepreneurship experience. I continued building my company UConvo (until it eventually fizzled), took more classes, competed in Stumberg, and more. Another great thing about my experience in the entrepreneurship department is how it connected me to outside opportunities. I was able to attend 3DS, a weekend event creating a business at Geekdom in downtown San Antonio. I also was able to intern at a local startup called Venture Lab. It was such a great experience as I not only got to work on a mission I love, but I also got hands on knowledge of how startups operate. Over the years I’ve also gone to pitch competitions, investor panels, women in entrepreneurship events and so much more.

Now as a senior I am taking my final capstone class. While I took the class to finish out my minor, I have absolutely loved learning more about the financials of a business plan and from all of our guest speakers. I think one of the most lasting memories I will have from college are from these classes where we get to learn from real entrepreneurs, hearing about their struggles, successes, and advice. As I prepare to leave Trinity very soon, I am happy that entrepreneurship was part of that experience. Now, I can see how the countless pitches helped me become a better presenter. Now, I can see how failing my business taught me lifelong lessons. Now, I can see how all of those classes helped me to become the individual that I am today, and I am so grateful.

-Kylie Moden

Comments