Stumberg Venture Competition: Seed Round


The seed round of the Stumberg Venture Competition has always been my favorite. THere are more ideas on the table, and I think more hope. Looking back to when I competed, many teams at this stage are so excited and confident in their businesses. While this is somewhat naive, it creates for such an exciting atmosphere. And perhaps I am just a bit nostalgic at this point as a graduating senior.

Still, as I arrived, I was taken aback by the sheer number of attendees. In comparison to when I got here freshman year, the growth is truly incredible. This year there was also an international partnership where some students from Mexico partnered with Trinity students to create business ideas. The line up was impressive, and I had a few friends competing as well.

Once the pitches started, I grabbed my snacks (the entrepreneurship department always has great appetizers at these events) and took a seat. Before I knew I loved watching pitches, I knew I loved the show Shark Tank. After learning these are one in the same, my life made a little more sense. Anyways, the pitches got off to great start. As an experienced senior now, I have become so critical of pitches, taking notes about delivery and content in addition to being impressed by their product ideas.

In between pitches, one of my good friends from freshman year entrepreneurship hall Dzung arrived. We whispered about our thoughts on the businesses in between pitches and it reminded me of how small and connected our department is. Even though Dzung didn’t get her minor in entrepreneurship, her experience in the department still helped her and we still have such a great bond from living and taking classes together. It is one of the benefits of Trinity being a small campus that I have come to really appreciate. 


Towards the middle of pitches I had to grab Morgan, who was on one of the competing teams, in order to attend an award ceremony we were both speaking at. Trinity students truly are some of the most busy people I know, especially in the entrepreneurship department. It was pretty crazy, as we had to drive across town to Rackspace where the ceremony was being held, then bring her back so that she could hear if her team won any funding. Sadly, her team did not, but there were other five amazing teams who did receive $5,000 and the opportunity to compete again in the fall for more money. Overall, Stumberg was once again a fantastic event, full of drama, excitement, and of course some amazing pitches.

-Kylie Moden

Comments